“Never engage with Zarabithia. No, not even to correct blatant lies she's telling about other fans. It will never be worth it.”
— Nonny, “Rules to fandom by,” May 23, 2014
PervyFicGirl (PFG — not to be confused with Professor Fangirl) is also known as Zarabithia. She’s been a perennial wanker in Marvel Comics fandom since at least 2008. Her shtik is that “She’s aggressively grudgy against popular fandom pairings and pulls out every little thing in the SJ handbook to justify her subjective tastes as morally superior. She never shuts up about how much she hates just about everybody in fandom.”
She also tends to wildly misread posts by certain people she hates in an attempt to get them dogpiled. Inevitably, someone else will come along to point out that her interpretation was incorrect.
Zarabithia’s most notorious statement has been that Young Avengers character Eli Bradley (who is black) should be shoved cock first through a meat grinder because he kissed Kate Bishop — his girlfriend, who is white — without permission. This seems to be a favored punishment of hers: "I’m so fucking tired of Tony’s manpain that I would like to literally force the character dick first through a meat grinder, but you know that’s a secondary consideration."
One industriously grudgy tracking nonnie theorizes that Zarabithia is behind numerous attempts to troll meme with some of her favorite wank subjects, such as the evils of Steve/Tony shippers, Coulson fans, the mods of the Cap_Ironman community, and sundry other People Zarabithia Hates in namespace. Later in the same thread, another nonnie presents a similarly detailed link roundup of the earlier comics wanks on meme thought to be related to Zarabithia, including a 2010 wank_report writeup.
Zarabithia may have in fact made her first FFA appearance in the very first FFA post.
Various PFG/Zarabithia discussions on meme:
- In late January 2013, nonnies discussed an argument between Zarabithia and ani-bester. Context: Zarabithia, a Steve/Bucky shipper, gets off on the fact that Bucky was 16 and Steve an adult when they first got together in canon, and rages against anyone who is squicked by this fact.
- Same thread: Zarabithia claimed that “Kate's one night stand with [Noh-Varr] was the definition of female agency and strong women and anyone who thought otherwise was slut shaming a rape survivor.” Another nonny peruses these two Zarabithia posts on the topic and tries to parse her logic.
- “Way Back In Ye Olden Days, Zarabithia (back when she was PFG), wrote a post about how Steve/Tony fans were super misogynist and awful, especially on cap_ironman. It got linked to comicsnews.” A fan named Ellyr-in-ink left a polite comment explaining their disagreement, which prompted Zarabithia to rage at them and delete their comments. Ellyr-in-ink reposted them on their own LJ without naming Zarabithia.
- More tidbits from same thread: Zarabithia characterizing Soviet Bucky/Natasha as “gross and non con and problematic,” despite insisting that “there was NO PROBLEM AT ALL with Roy having sex with Kori.” Also, Zarabithia accusing another fan of bi-erasure “because she wrote Natasha Stark as bi.”
- In late March of 2013, Ani-Bester went toe to toe with Zarabithia again, and meme took note. Zarabithia is upset that people are more OK with Bucky being a teenage assassin than being a teenager having sex with an adult — “Especially when you ship Bucky/Natasha, which has its origins in Bucky being completely unable to consent at all because he was brainwashed.” A nonny explains that, canonically, Bucky/Natasha happened not because of brainwashing but ”in spite of brainwashing. And it's motivated by the remains of the original personality. Again canon.”
- In mid-January 2014, a terse mention of Zarabithia on meme prompts the first of many nonnies to ask what the deal with her is, anyway. Another replies that, among other things, “she's not infrequently told rape survivors they're doing it wrong in relation to fictional characters. She herself is a survivor who ids with Kate Bishop pretty hard, and Her Interpretation Is the Only Correct Interpretation, anything else is shaming survivors.”
- This comment made the same day in a different thread, about Kieron Gillen “queer-baiting” fans, may have been from Zarabithia.
- In early February 2014 a nonny stated that Zarabithia “really overidentifies with Billy Kaplan” and hates Gillen “because he had Teddy and Billy argue and didn't make it clear that Billy is the specialest most precious angel ever who is never in the wrong, because David is now a rapist homewrecker with no redeeming qualities, because Gillen made the team too gay and that's not a homophobic criticism at all because BLEARGH TOO MUCH GAY IS BAD REPRESENTATION, REAL GAY PEOPLE DON'T EXPRESS HOMOSEXUAL INTEREST EVER. She also hates Miss America because being privately disappointed in Billy makes her an awful mean bully. Oh, but STOP USING DAVID'S AND AMERICA'S SKIN AS A SHIELD GUYS smiledesu is Jewish and that means she can't possibly ever be even a little bit racist!”
- In the next post we got another summation of Zarabithia:
She's one of those types who will go off about how ‘x thing is problematic’ but anything she likes is totally perfect, even if it's exactly the same as this other thing she hates. I actually wouldn't care about that except she's permanently attached to a soapbox and never shuts up.
(Plus, I can't take anyone seriously who goes on and on about how important it is to support female characters in fandom but then will defend Rick Remender's fridging of Sharon even though the guy admitted he killed her to give Steve angst. Like, he said in an interview that's why he did it, and she still insists that Sharon somehow had agency before she died so it doesn’t count as fridging.)
I was friends with her when I was new to comics fandom and completely unaware of the extent of her batshit.
It did not end well.
I disagreed with her on something, she called me a stupid misogynist and unfriended me without further discussion.
I was kind of baffled and disappointed, but I shrugged and let it go.
This was before she started using the zarabithia name. So I didn't realise it was her thenext time I got viciously attacked for a fandom opinion. It was a lot worse, involved more people, and I ended up getting really, really upset.
First thing - she's a bully.
On Tumblr, she has a general history of attacking MCU!Steve/Bucky fans for not shipping 616!Steve/Bucky, but in particular she likes to hunt out female fans who have stated they are uncomfortable with the 616 pairing due to their own personal negative experiences with older men and then go bat-shit crazy attacking them for being misogynists for not being as obsessed with adult men fucking teenagers as she is. Another hobby of hers is attacking Steve/Tony WOC fans, accusing of being racists & sexist for shipping Steve/Tony instead of Steve/Bucky. She's also the one that started the whole bullshit about Natasha raping Bucky in the Red Room and defending Remender's fridging of Sharon Carter (because that got the two biggest hurdles out of the way for her OTP).
Basically she's pretty racist against actual POC and against black male characters and accuses anyone that disagrees with her of being sexist. So, yeah she's all about Sam/Steve right now but it's just a matter of time before she throws Sam under the bus like she did with Natasha and Sharon.